After reading this post on creating homemade shimmer liqueur (similar to Viniq), I decided that this was a perfect opportunity to create a cocktail based around the Brotherhood of Steel and one of their iconic weapons: the Gatling Laser.
See all that awesome shimmer? That’s due to the addition of a small amount of pearl lustre petal dust. This is normally used to decorate cakes, but when you add it to just the right combination of alcohol and sugar, it creates a wonderful shimmering effect in your drink when it’s agitated.
Don’t be afraid to keep that Gatling Laser ‘spun up’ with a few twirls! Those super mutants won’t know what hit them…
How to make a Gatling Laser
- 1 part vodka
- 0.5 parts raspberry cordial
- 2 parts cranberry juice
- Small pinch edible pearl lustre dust
- Combine the vodka and raspberry cordial in a shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well, until the shaker develops a frost on the outside.
- Pour into a chilled wine glass.
- Sprinkle a small pinch of Pearl Lustre petal dust and swirl to combine.
- While still spinning, add the cranberry juice.
- Hold up to the light and enjoy the show!
Make sure you use pearl lustre petal dust, and nothing else; it won’t work as well. You can get it from your local baking supply shop, or alternatively online from Amazon. I used a bright red dust for the above demonstration, but try out silver or gold as well if you’d like the sparkles to stand out even more.
Try to ensure you use full-sugar cranberry juice, as the sugar content is necessary to keep the density of the liquid high enough to keep the sparkles suspended. Feel free to add more cranberry juice as well, but you may find that you have to spin a little more vigorously to kick the cocktail into action.
Maybe you’re more of a plasma fan? Replace the raspberry cordial with Midori and the cranberry juice with clear apple juice.
You can check out our other cocktail recipes below!
And our other ‘cult favourites’: