It’s time to taste the cocktail that bites back.
The Zombie: is any Tiki bar really complete without it? It’s tropical, it’s tasty, and it’s perfect for a hot day on the beach. It’ll even turn you into a member of the walking dead, considering the amount of rum hidden deep underneath all that fruit juice.
But despite how delicious the classic Zombie might be, it doesn’t reflect the cranium-crushing, flesh-munching, slow-walking undead shufflers that gamers everywhere have come to know and love. With this recipe, I sought to remedy that.
So grab your baseball bats and rev up those chainsaws: there’s a Zombie Virus coming.
- 1 oz tequila blanco
- 0.5 oz Malibu
- 0.5 oz peach schnapps
- 0.5 oz black sambuca
- 3 oz – 5 oz cranberry juice
- A straw
- Add the tequila, Malibu, peach schnapps and cranberry juice to a shaker half-filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled rocks glass, Collins glass or kitsch-y zombie-themed vessel.
- Suck the sambuca into the straw until the liquid just touches your lips. Pull it out of the vessel, still holding the pressure in the straw, and cover the end furthest from you with your finger.
- Stop sucking and put another finger over the other end of the straw.
- Release the end furthest from you; the liquid should stay in the straw.
- Put the non-fingered end into your drink about half-way down and release your finger.
- The black sambuca will release out in a dark cloud, eventually settling at the bottom.
- Take a sip and taste the infection setting in.
If you want to serve this to someone else, try instead to find a plastic syringe to draw the sambuca out with; hygiene and all that. You can often find these at pet stores. Serve the syringe alongside the drink and let them release the ‘virus’ themselves.
Perfect for a Walking Dead marathon or for your next playthrough of Dying Light. Give the Zombie Virus a try and let me know what you think!
For more gaming-inspired cocktails, check out the recipes below: